Botulinum Toxin A
Botulinum toxin A is a manufactured injectable medication used therapeutically to reduce the strength of targeted muscle tissues.
Two types of commercially available Botulinum toxin A:
- Botox (Allergan)
- Xeomin (Metz Asthetics)
Are both Botox and Xeomin the same?
Both products contain botulinum toxin A but in different forms. Xeomin contains no accessory proteins and has less storage restrictions.
While they are both comparable in effectiveness, some studies have shown Xeomin to have a quicker onset of action and a longer duration.
Mechanism of action:
Botulinum toxin A binds to the nerve ending and blocks the neurotransmitter which restricts the muscle’s ability to contract, therefore, helping the muscle to relax.
Clinical uses in dentistry:
To relieve symptoms of TMJ, headaches, and orofacial pain To reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- The patient must be in good health with no active skin infections in the area to be treated.
- The patient should not be needle phobic.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment. Alcohol may thin the blood, which will increase the risk of bleeding.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, Vitamin E, Gingo Bilbao, St. John’s Wort, Ibuprofin, Motrin, Advil, Vioxx, and other NSAIDS. They are all blood thinning medications and can increase the risk of bruising/swelling after the injection.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event since brushing may occur.
- No straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for 3-4 hours following treatment. It takes 2 hours for the toxins to bind to the nerve. We do not want the toxins to wash away from where they were injected due to increasing circulation.
- Avoid manipulation of the area for 3-4 hours following treatment. (For the same reason listed above). This includes no facial, peel, nor micro-dermabrasion. It can take 2-10 days to take full effect. It is recommended that the patient contacts our office between 12-14 days after the treatment to assess if the desired effect was achieved
- Make up, applied with a light touch, may be applied prior to leaving the office.